Investments up by 64% in 1st 4 months

Investments approved by the Philippine Board of Investments (BOI) in the first four months of the year reached P117.26 billion, up by 64 percent compared to the P71.62 billion posted in the same period last year.  These were generated from 101 projects and are expected to create 16,366 additional jobs, once fully operational.

For the month of April alone, a total of P55.33 billion was generated, which recorded a remarkable 225 percent increase compared to the P17 billion generated for the same month in 2015.

Among the big ticket projects approved in April include GMR Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation (with Php16.75 Billion), a PPP project for the Cebu International Airport Project (Phase 2 – operation and maintenance of Terminal 2); Light Rail Manila Corporation (LRMC) (Php15.15 Billion), modernization of the existing system – operations and maintenance of Manila LRT 1 Integrated Railway System Project; and Cordillera Hydro Electric Power Corporation (Php12.18 Billion), renewable energy developer of 60MW Kapangan Hydroelectric Project in Benguet.

On a sector level, electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply recorded the largest share of investment commitments at P48.97 billion (42 percent), followed by the construction sector with P31.90 billion (27 percent), real estate activities, specifically, the economic and low-cost housing sub-sector with P19.61 billion (17 percent), transportation and storage with P10.06 billion (nine percent); and manufacturing with P5.97 Billion (five percent).

Major manufacturing sub-sectors, based on their respective shares to total investment approvals in the first four months include food products (P5.16 billion or 86.5 percent share); motor vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers (P122.59 million or 2.1 percent share); leather and other related products (P62.01 million or 1 percent share); wearables and apparel (P24.66 million or 0.4 percent); and other manufacturing products (P593.77 million or 10 percent share).

Of the total investment approvals, 84 percent or P98.54 billion came from local investors and the remaining 16 percent or P18.73 billion from foreign sources.

Singapore was the top foreign investor with P8.22 billion, accounting for 44 percent share of the total investments from foreign nationals, followed by the Netherlands with P5.96 billion (32 percent share); British Virgin Islands with P2.02 million (11 percent share); United States with P604.54 million (3 percent); and United Kingdom with P505.49 million (3 percent share).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s